View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

state finals games- selecting refs

Perhaps it varies state by state. I was wondering if they pick sets of refs or all over the state. I assume they mix it up. Second question would it be better to have guys who worked together do a game?
Not to sound too critical but one of the state finals games I saw was poorly officiated. (oh oh, shields up ).I'm not going to say the game. the tv people were wrong saying perhaps the refs were not used to the quality of athletes out there because I've seen one of the refs officiate big regional games with div 1 college talent and he is a good official. But for whatever reason, perhaps nerves or working with new guys if they do pick refs from all over, the three just didn't have it going that night.
Also, I doubt this but perhaps in some state finals game they have a 4th official watching the game who can come in and give a few pointers at halftime. A change in the way the game was being called who have helped. Instead a ton of fouls were called and quite a few were touch fouls that were not being called in the other state games I watched. And there were a few phantom fouls that replays showed were clearly wrong. Again, the one ref I have seen never made those calls in the games I have seen him do, but if he was working with new people and the whistles start going I guess the set starts getting whistle happy and they end up calling an ultra tight game for two very good teams. It was fair for both sides but the way the game was officiated had a major impact on how the teams usually play. I think both teams are ranked in the top 30 nationally.

Last edited by lpbreeze; Mon Mar 17, 2008 at 12:35am.