View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 10:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Math: A+ ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
I know nothing about the shuttle launch, but I do know that to hear the sound a minute after takeoff, the observation area would have to be approximately 13 miles from the launch site. I have no idea how far it actually is, but I would be surprised if it's 13 miles away.
LAUNCH VIEWING

The NASA causeway is the closest and best public viewing site (as close as 6.5 miles) for Space Shuttle launches; tickets are required and they sell out fast. Titusville is the second best viewing area (12 miles), and is the closest off-site location. An option that is between the two in terms of distance, but with no direct view of the launch pad, is the Kennedy Space Center Visitors Complex (7.4 miles).

If you cannot obtain tickets to the NASA causeway, then your main thought process going into where to view the launch from should include whether you want a clear view of the launch pad (Titusville) versus not having a clear view but being able to hear the sound more (KSC Visitors Complex). If it is a night launch, Titusville also offers the advantage of having a large body of water which will greatly reflect the light given off by the shuttle.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 10:21am.