Thread: Patches
View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 02:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Disagree to some extent. You have to be licensed in Illinois to ref high chool games, to be licensed yearly, you have to pass a test and attend a mandatory rules meeting and additionally attend a clinic I believe every other year. Does this make you a good ref? Of course not, but it does say something about one's training........... they've made the effort.
Attending a meeting and going to a camp every three years does not prove that you are a good official. Many good officials go to several in one year and not just the basic requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I can only go by what I see in the Chicagoland area, and an unpatched official at the middle school level leaves alot to be desired and clearly indicates no effort for self improvement or a willingness to learn. That said, there are plenty of horrible officials that are patched only in an effort to collect a check.
And this proves why having one means little or nothing in the bigger picture. It still takes years for an official to be competent. It still takes extensive training and understanding of the game. It still takes being able to keep up with the players by being in shape. All those things are not things you get by putting a patch on your shirt.

Peace