View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 20, 2000, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker:

Another thought: If the idea is to TRULY penalize the unsporting behavior, why not simply AWARD one or two points for a technical rather than offer only the POSSIBILITY of the other team getting a couple points? After all, if the opponents miss the free throws and the penalized team gets the ball back, there has, in effect, been NO penalty (other than getting closer to bonus and a disqualification). I know the awarding of points will never happen (except in summer leagues, maybe), but if you think about the purpose of assessing a technical, you might agree it would make sense to do so.

Todd-

What are you, some kind of Shaq fan?! I suppose we should just award him his points at the FT line, too, to discourage the hack-a-shaq!

You're right, this will never happen. The on ly sport where officials can give (take, really) a point is BOXING, and we don't want to go there!

On a serious note, I would hate to see the NBA go to the proposed choice of FTs or possession that has been bantered around for years. That's too much tinkering for my taste.