Thread: Handle This
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
SECTION 3 FORFEITED GAME
ART. 1 . . . A game shall be forfeited to the offended team by the umpire when a team:
d. persists in tactics designed to delay or shorten the game.

Still don't think he is delaying or shortening the game by the definition above..that deals with not sending team onto field, etc.

If someone gets hurts that's on him. I'm continuing the game. Hopefully the other coach won't appeal the bases not being touched.

Along the same lines...bottom of five 9-0 home team...bases loaded, two outs, 3-0 on batter. Coach yells to batter, swing at the next three pitches not matter where they are but don't hit the ball so you can get the 3rd out. Are you going to forfeit the game...all he is doing is using the rules to his advantage like the other coach.

I can see both sides here...

How many of us have been involved in games where a coach has his runners step off the bag to mercifully end an inning? I know I have and I sure wouldnt forfeit that game although obviously and thankfully he is shortening the game.

In the OP, the coach is overtly sandbagging, and I see dakota point. So the answer for the coach would be to NOT overtly sandbag, and to slyly sandbag? ( ie swing but dont hit the ball would be perfect).

Some judgment as to the situation has to come into play, but it is a fine line with tactic like this.

For the OP and that specific situation, I think Dakota is 100% right.

Other situations would be other situations and thats why they let us wear a pretty blue shirt...

The rule most definitely does apply when it applies though...

Last edited by wadeintothem; Wed Mar 12, 2008 at 10:18pm.