View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 09:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefTip
I realize this is not HS ball, so we'll allow both the HC and AC to be up " coaching " as long as they stay in the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
RefTip - I just don't agree with your text in red... if we're going to enforce it, lets do it right! Because when officials like myself work the next game (after yours) we don't want to have to explain why 2 coaches will not be standing for THIS ballgame. Regardless of what took place last time.
Other than that good advice.
I'm not sure his tactic is completely bad. It's a slick way of giving the coaches information ("Only the head coach is allowed to stand, and he must remain in the box.") without giving the impression you don't think they know the rules. Say it in a way that assumes they know the rule, and they get to save face.

I agree that it has the potential to make things difficult the next time, "Hey, the last guy let my assistant stand." But a smart coach will learn from the pre-game and might just ask before the game next time.

I can see how it might backfire in later games, but there might be benefits to it as well.