View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
Rule 2-24-1 posted below for reference.

ART. 1... A force-out is a putout during which a runner who is being forced to advance is tagged out, or is put out by a fielder who holds the ball while touching the base toward which the forced runner is advancing (9-1-1 for special case.)

I blew one similar to this last year except the play was at first. F3 touched the base with his glove but the ball was in his hand.

Hey BigGuy,

I had the following play last year in a tournament game in which I was BU. Bases were empty and batter hits a hard ground ball to 3rd. The throw to 1st was misplayed, bounced off his chest and it was slowly rolling toward the pitchers mound. F3 was able to keep his foot on the base while he stretched way out to grab the ball. (actually he ended up laying on the ground). Then, just before the runner got to the base, F3 lifted the ball up about a inch with his hand while his arm was still streched out flat on the ground. I called the runner out then one of the coaches said the ball was still on the ground so he should be safe. I told him F3 lifted the ball off the ground a split second before the batter-runner got to the bag. The first-base coach told him that he saw the ball lifted off the ground and I made the correct call.

This was a play I've never seen before and the two coaches seemed convinced that even if F3 had the ball in his grasp the ball must be lifted from touching the ground or it would not count as being in his possession. Later in the game I asked the PU if F3 didn't lift the ball off the ground on that play would the runner had been safe or out? He said out because the ball was held in his hand and it didn't matter if it was touching the ground. Who was right...? The two coaches or the PU? Thanks,
...Al