View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
If the official with the last-second shot waved off the basket, I can see how the other officials wouldn't be able to come in real-time and say definitely that the ball had been released before the horn. I think if that official had signaled basket good it would have stood as well. On a play that close no official is going to overturn the ruling of the official who has the last second shot responsibility.
Exactly. This call came down to one person -- the official with the last shot responsibility. They all got together after the fact (which I think was wise; it's a state championship game, after all) and the calling official probably said "I've got the shot coming after the horn. Does anyone know differently?" And, with as close as we all acknowledge that it was, one way or the other, neither of the officials without primary responsibility for that shot are going to say they know for sure anything different than what the calling official had.

It was just real, real close and the calling official made his best judgment at the time. I can live with that. And so should everyone else. Even the losing team's fans.