View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
High school official for 27 years. Middle school girls coach for over 25 years. Parent of son who played recreation ball. Parent of a daughter who played high school varsity, helped her AAU team win an international gold medal in Spain, and is presently playing ball for her medical school in London, UK.

Maybe we're a little different here in Connecticut because of the small size of the state, with the state equally supporting both the University of Connecticut mens, and womens, basketball teams, but here's my two cents.

At the highest scholastic level, boys ball is played above the rim. Girls ball is played below the rim.

After 27 years, I believe that I can make this observation. With few exceptions, boys varsity games are viewed by a larger fan base, consisting of both student fans, and families of the players. Girls varsity games are, with few exceptions, viewed by mostly families of the players, with a smaller percentage of student fans. Most boys teams are supported by school cheerleaders. Most girls teams are not supported by cheerleaders.

I find both boys games, and girls games, equally challanging, with exception of above the rim action. After doing a girls game, or a couple of girls games, followed by a boys game, I have to remind myself, as the trail, to watch above the rim for basket interference, and goaltending.

I don't care if I get a girls varsity assignment, or a boys varsity assignment. On the other hand, I don't care if I get a small school varsity assignment, or a large school varsity assignment, boys, or girls. This past season, I didn't mind filling in for a junior varsity official who didn't show up, for a girls game. I just love officiating interscholastic basketball. Period.

Well said.