View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
"Just because it's always been done that way....." is the subtle discrimination of which I speak. No one can say it isn't there.

If one doesn't like girls' basketball, that's alright, no problem. Do boys basketball.

If one doesn't like boys' basketball, that's alright, no problem. Do girls basketball.

But I do think it's unhealthy thinking in an organization to say that one has to "move up" from doing girls' basketball.

It isn't a matter of individual preference. It's the wholesale attitude of the organization that we have a problem with.

Rita
Why do you think this attitude is "unhealthy"? Unhealthy for whom? In what ways? And how is it really any different from attitudes of moving up from wreck ball or middle school ball?

What exactly is it about the "wholesale attitude of the organization" that bothers you so much?

And if you're willing to concede an individual's right to prefer one game over the other, why do you struggle with the right of many likeminded individuals within a group to prefer one game over the other?

And I'd like to know what you think about women officials who view working boys games as "moving up" from girls games? Does this bother you? Do you feel they are breaking ranks with the sisterhood? Do you defend this as their right to their own opinion? And what if a whole bunch of these women formed their own officials association, and as a group preferred working boys games? Would that just stick in your craw?

And, in reality, what is different about talking about "moving up" from girls games as opposed to moving up from freshman games, moving up from small school games, moving up from high school games? Because in reality, it has nothing to do with the girls, it has to do with the basketball. It's often pretty boring.

And what's this baloney with "just because it's always been done that way..."? Please quote me any post in this discussion where anybody has used that argument. It doesn't even make sense in this context. It sounds to me like you're draging in old bones from other arguments and trying to prove this is just another facet of the ongoing conspiracy to keep women down. Talk about unhealthy.