View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 11:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikBoom
I havnt read the whole thread, but I think this is the "fackt"" that not evryone things isa "fackt".
I'd challenge you to find me a school (at any level) where the gym is noisier during a girls game than during a boys game. (Intensity level and attendance). You might be able to find a handful of exceptions across the country (most would be colleges like the University of Tennessee.)

I'd challenge you to find me a single school where the girls team is faster and stronger than the boys team. I'd challenge you to find a school where the girls team is as fast or as strong as the boys team.

I'd challenge you to find me more than a half-dozen schools nationwide where the coach of the girls team is under more pressure than the coach of the boys team.

BITS' facts are hard to dispute. Does that make the boys game intrisically better? No. Are they more desirable for top tier officials? Definitely. JRut isn't the only official who would rather give up officiating than work a steady diet of girls' ball.

That said, I imagine a lot of female officials want to do boys varsity simply because of the status it implies in a given association. In the association I was in the past two years, the women seemed to do an equal number of boys and girls games. Then again, boys games weren't the end-all in that association (also in Colorado, but a different part of the state from Ch1town). In that group, the big deal is staying "in town" as opposed to driving to a small school game out of town. From what I saw, all the top officials worked both boys and girls games, relatively equally.

Similar to Ch1town's experience, but slightly deviated, the way to get on the assignor's good side was to be willing to drive to games out of town (as far away as two hours).