View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
"Just because it's always been done that way....." is the subtle discrimination of which I speak. No one can say it isn't there.

If one doesn't like girls' basketball, that's alright, no problem. Do boys basketball.

If one doesn't like boys' basketball, that's alright, no problem. Do girls basketball.

But I do think it's unhealthy thinking in an organization to say that one has to "move up" from doing girls' basketball.

It isn't a matter of individual preference. It's the wholesale attitude of the organization that we have a problem with.

Rita
When a strong majority in any field have a similar order of preferences, that establishes a defacto order of moving up. The more people that desire a given assignment relateive to the available opportunities (of anything, not just basketball) the higher the level. It's all based on preferences, not any absolute or intrinsic value. A level that anyone can get is at the bottom. A level that only a select few achive is at the top. Is it easier to get a girls varsity game than a boys varsity game? Is it easier to get a freshman game than a varsity game? You tell me.