View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 01:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
Really?!?! It has nothing to do with this play? This play is exactly why that specific language is in the book.
How do you know there is doubt? Did you talk to the officials after the game? Did you read their minds based on the video?

Quote:
Do you honestly believe there's any chance they were sure it wasn't released in time? There's really no way that could be the case since the replay showed he got it off.
The replay was not a very good angle. Near the floor with being almost a half court away is not a very good angle to determine much of anything. Not even the angle the officials would have had to make the call.

Quote:
And the verbiage is in the book to back the officials in cases like this. If you're not sure, count it. I had a play just like that this season and we counted the basket exactly because we had no definite knowledge that it wasn't good.
Well you need to go back and read the rulebook. The rule only says the Referee makes a decision if the calling officials disagree. There is no evidence of a disagreement. Did the officials make two different signals? Did the official argue as to what should happen? You have no idea unless you have some kind of conversation with the guys after the game. And there is no evidence that they are totally unsure of the result of the basket. It looks to me that the calling official did not want to put such a call on his shoulders and his shoulders alone and they all got together to help with another angle. I completely commend them for doing so. We are not the officials on the court. The officials on the court I am sure had a different take on the play and what they saw on a video. And the angle is so bad that even if you can see the play more clearly, it is still not the best angle to determine the result of such a close play.

Peace