View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 08:01am
Huck Finn

Once again this goes to show that a thread title doesn't necessarily tell what the content is.

I'm somewhat in agreement with Rut on this one. Does it make me a bad person if I don't enjoy doing women's basketball? I don't think it does at all - it is just my preference.
Here we have to do double-headers and this being my second year here it got old fast. I was all set to stop doing high school ball next season when I find out I'm going to state. I kind of feel obligated to work high school next season. If I could do a JV boys game and then the boy's varsity I probably wouldn't feel this way, but it is a varsity double-header every time out. Add the fact that we probably make the same for this double-header as most of you make for one game; I don't do it only for the money, but I don't do it for free either.

Someone said it best, the women's game is harder to officiate than the men's games, but some of that doesn't really have anything to do with basketball plays. IMO it is harder because the girls force us to make more decisions. This is just my experience, but for some reason an attempt to play basketball defense is replaced by the notion that there is the ball I'm going to reach, grab and do whatever to get it. Like I said, that is just my experience.

I think I know who BNR is talking about and she does deserve to do boy's varsity - it seems like I know too many people in too many areas. I have no problem with a woman doing boy's varsity because sex doesn't really matter when it comes to skills. I don't really think anyone else said something different, but I'm just saying.