View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper
Monty,
How do you go about becoming a scorekeeper at the collegiate level?
They put you in water and see if you float.

Seriously, though, I got into it by sending a letter to the AD at my undergrad institution. The better way to go about it is to e-mail the sports information director before the season starts. (At all the schools for which I've worked, the SID is the one who coordinated the table crew.) If they're interested, they'll probably have you work a few scrimmages and call you if needed to fill in that season.

Two pieces of advice, though.
1. Often, the table crew at a given place has been working together for a long period of time. To break in, you often need to wait for the right timing (i.e., someone retiring or moving away).
2. For mid-major D-I programs, when a game is televised, they need someone to act as TOC. Often, this will be one of the people who normally does clock/book, and you can get called to fill in there. My very first D-I game on the scorebook was nationally televised, and I had a dispute over the AP arrow with the home coach. (Definitely baptism by fire!)

If you want more info, SCal, feel free to message me through the board.