Thread: Making the Call
View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 22, 2002, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by jicecone

I just received my issue of NASO "Referee" magazine and read the feature on page 38 about Mike Winters, MLB umpire.Now I have never heard of and do not know him but from the article, I now have a lot of respect for the man.

In the article Mike is being interviewed about being on the field for Mark McGwire's home run that broke Roger Maris's single season record. The interviewer asks if Mike seen McGwire miss first base on his HR trot. I will let you read the full answer, but I would ump with this guy any day.

In summary Mike and his partner, Larry Poncino discuss the missed base and what they would have done had McGwire not gone back to touch the bag. Bottom line, Mike states "We would have had to call him out. It would have been an incredible story (to call him out),but I'm glad it didnt happen"

Now my point. How many times have we, as officials, not made a call or choose to ignor a rule because of the importance of a game or action that is taking place? Im not talking about the 15-0 game where if the pitcher throws the pitch between the backstop posts , you call it a strike, either.

Mr. Winters and his partner never did have to make that decision however, I got to believe if they did, it would been by the rules.

Up for discussion.

You bring up an interesting point, but as Jim Porter said, this particular play was seen by EVERYONE. The first base coach, McGwire himself, Fans and people watching. I'm surprised Referee didn't ask Mike Winters if would have also called coaches interference on this play as the first base coach did assist Mark on his way back to first.

Suppose only you and F3 saw the missed base and it wasn't so obvious as in the McGwire HR and it was a record breaker or for a game winner in a HS Sectional game. Would you then uphold the appeal?

The reason why a runner has to touch all bases and touch them in order is obvious. Without such a rule the game would be a farce. Also, you do not want either the offense or defense to gain an advantage not intended by the rules, however,

On a HR the ball is dead so what advantage is gained by a player missing a base? Unless the missed base is as obvious as in Mark's case, IMO - Do not ruin a Game especially on a record breaker or something we are more familiar with a game winning HR in a HS sectional game.

I also agree with Bob, on his 3-2 count senario. If B1 wants to put the game in my hands he will lose everytime. It's not up to me to determine the outcome. IMO, a 3-2 pitch is equivalent to the last play in a baseketball game (basically the whistles are put away), unless it is truly a BALL, B1 better be swinging.

Pete Booth