View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
My objection was to the belittling of women's sports: boys' games are somehow a "reward" for doing girls' games, and we need to "move up through" the girls -ugh!- to get to the good stuff, and only the good refs get boys' games. The fact of the matter is that there is good reffing, and it applies to girls games, and it applies to boys games. If his association really does set up their structure such that the sentences he said are just part of life in his area, then some coaches need to sue. It's just plain illegal.
He did not make any comments about other women's sports in general. He made comments about girl's basketball. And whether you like it or not, basketball is the only sport that I can think of that runs both genders at the same time in most jurisdictions. Volleyball officials for example do not have to choose which gender to work on the same night as many officials might have to during the basketball season. And whether you also want to admit it or not, many coaches and officials are not required the same level of experience to coach or officiate those games at the high school level. I have seen many coaches regardless of gender barely have any experience and they are given the head coaching job. And definitely that is the case when it comes to officials. Even at the college level many officials do not have extensive experience under their belts and they have been given an opportunity to work even post season assignments at the lower level college ranks. I know my first varsity game was given to me was on the girl's side and I was told repeatedly (by even woman ADs) that they did not see me as ready to work boy's games early in my career even though they would give me girl's varsity games at the same school. And I am sure one of the main reasons for that is girl’s games did not bring the same scrutiny to that school as the boy’s team did. Even the very good girl’s teams are not as highly covered or attended as some very middle of the road teams. I am sure that is not unique to where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
ALso because if I don't do some boys' games every season, there are four tournaments for which I"m not eligible. I really would like to change that, but until it gets adjusted, I need to get some boys games every year, so that I can get to Pendleton someday.
That sounds like a structural issue in your area and might not even be an issue where other people live. In my area you work get post season only based on what level you work. If you never work girl's games, you are not elgible for working girl's post season and vise versa.

Peace