View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave
I wore mine last year for around 12 games or so without doing anything but wiping them off and running a Kiwi Instant Shine sponge over them. Then they got scuffed, muddy, etc. I then started polishing them with Kiwi Parade Gloss black paste polish-5 or 6 coats with stiff shoebrush buffing after each coat. I even coated the White/Grey "N"'s on the sides. After this base coat I spit shined them once or twice with cotton balls, cold water(w/ice in it) and parage gloss then after that I discovered Kiwi Honor Guard liquid polish. It goes on wet and covers everything. The liquid dries in ten or fifteen minutes. I estimate 60 coats or more last summer as I polished with this stuff after every game. Very shiny finish and the N's got blacked out for a dressier look. Not patent leather shiny but close. I got a lot of positive commentary and questioning about the shine from other umpires.
For those who have lives, wiping down shoes with Pledge after games, interspersed with shining them with a quality polish once a week will keep them looking shiny and sharp. Oh, and buy the model with the black "N".