Thread: Making the Call
View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 22, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone

In summary Mike and his partner, Larry Poncino discuss the missed base and what they would have done had McGwire not gone back to touch the bag. Bottom line, Mike states "We would have had to call him out. It would have been an incredible story (to call him out),but I'm glad it didnt happen"

Interesting post, jicecone................

I know of at least one reknowned member who advocates that the appeal should not be upheld since the batter beat the pitcher and the touching the bases only adds order to the balance of running out a home run. Unfortunately, he has admirers who listen to his every word as gospel.

IMO, you don't call a runner out for missing a base unless you are certain it was missed. Benefit of doubt always goes to the runner in this situation. However, if you are certain the base was missed, if even by an inch, then when the appeal is made it should be upheld. The defense is counting on you to do your job, and they've not given up their attempt to retire the runner despite his knocking the ball over the fence. Who is to say batting is a more important facet to the game than awareness (appeals)?

Just my opinion,

Freix