View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

2nd Base tagged with glove while hole ball in hand

Hello All

I had a very strange play happen to me yesterday in a 12u baseball scrimmage game. I have been trying to locate a rule interpretation on this play all morning.

Here is the play: Runner takes off from 1st base too steal 2nd base the batter hits a hard shot to the right side of the 2nd basemen it hits his glove and deflects down to the ground. The 2nd basemen then picks up the ball in his right hand and with the glove on his left hand tags the base without the ball in the glove while holding up the ball.

I mean you could hear a pin drop because everyone was as confused as too what had just happened as I was. I signaled “safe”. To my surprise neither coach said a word.

Did I make the right call?

I have used this site before and it has some very knowledgeable umpires here, so thanks for any information you can offer me.
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Tim Harris