View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Did we talk about this NFHS question yet?

I'm not sure if this came up, and my attempt to search didn't uncover it, but I wanted to ask something about a particular NFHS test question. In Virginia, we take the test online, and they mix them up, so the number is irrelevant.

Maybe I missed a few words in the question - and I didn't cut and paste it like I should have when I reviewed it - but it was essentially a question on 8-3-3a, where runners are awarded four bases when a ball is prevented from going over the fence by being by a spectator.

Answer Key: False.

What the he11? Someone in my association also asked about it, and from my recollection, it was worded exactly like the rulebook (I refuse to call it a "rules book") for 8-3-3a.

My question is: a) did the test question not mention the words "in flight," thus making the question false, since you can't apply four bases to a ball that bounds over, or b) did the test writer $%^&# it up? I hope it's the latter, of course, for the obvious reasons, but also because I hate nit-noid questions like that. I know, we're supposed to know our rules, and know subtle details and blah blah blah, but it seems to me that could be done a little better than by just omitting two words from some long description. I'd like to think that, on the field, I'll know the d@mn ball was bouncing before the spectator kept it from going over the fence.

I still kicked butt on the test, but I remember looking at the question during my review, and thinking, "I looked at the question, and compared it to page 51, so what did I miss?"

Thanks.