View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski
I watch too much college basketball. Maybe I am ignorant. Maybe I am a poor back seat referee. I feel that the college game is being called more and more like the pro game. Last nights Tennessee - Vandy game was a perfect example. Full body contact overlooked and touch fouls on top being called. Travels inside the lane where big men shuffled their feet prior to shooting, no call. On two occasions, the big man shuffled, got his defender to leave his feet, drew contact and got two shots. If I were a college coach I'm afraid I'd be T'd up every game (one reason why I'm not a college coach). Not saying all college reffing is bad. It just seems that the college game is getting watered down like the pros. I hope I am wrong.
At the risk of sounding like a #$#$@@..

How many big guys in the paint have you refereed from the floor?

I can tell you from my experiences that it is not as easy as you think.
I have been on the floor blowing a whistle with some of the biggest and best that have played the game... and others who wanna be.

1) When you ref the defense and are reffing it hard you may actually miss some of the minor stuff because the defender is 6'11 and 250 and so is the guy with the ball,

2) When refereeing a big guy that tall can you actually look at his feet and referee where the ball is at? and still referee the defense?

3) Sometimes (yes even in high schhol games) we miss travels because it looked like a good move. I bet some big guys get more travels called on them because they look clumsy o cant make an athletic move (MArk Eaton vs Tim Duncan)

I actually think in some cases Izzo may be kind of right, the coaches are working certain referees too hard. Working 6 games a week on the travel schedules that some of these guys work is tough on anybody...And after 10 or 12 weeks of it, the refs may have some off games,....

The conferences could easily hire the officials, pay them an acceptable wage, and then limit through conflict of interest clauses to one maybe two conferences.

( But then who gets what ref when they all want the same guys???)