View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 09:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
What may be confusing some, is that many years ago, I'm going to guess more than twenty years go, a tap, and a try, were not considered the same by the NFHS. In some cases, a player could tap the ball toward the basket, get fouled in the act of tapping, and either not get fouls shots, getting the ball at the closest designated spot, or, if in the bonus, getting a one and one.

I'm sure one of our veteran Forum posters can tell us when this change was made.
At one time they musta put an IAABO guy on the Rules Committee because they put in a completely dumb rule for a year or two....back in the 70's iirc The interpretation, as Billy said, was that a "tap" wasn't a "try".

They issued case plays telling us how to judge the difference between a tap and a try. If, on a put-back, the ball came to rest in a player's hand(s), it was a try. If it didn't come to rest (a la volleyball) it was a tap. Straight judgment call iow.

Stoopid rule. They finally found some common sense(either that or they got rid of IAABO Guy ) and they got rid of that l'il gem. Of course, they almost got me killed first. Doing a regional varsity game.....team with the ball down by 1 at the end..... one player misses a shot and a teammate goes up and taps the rebound.....ball is in the air....horn sounds......ball goes in....home team crowd (naturally it had to be the home team) goes nuts......JR waves the basket off because it was a "tap" and not a "try", and therefore the ball was dead when a whistle or the horn sounded......home crowd goes nuts again.....JR now sets new land speed record getting his azz outa the gym and into his dressing room.

Stoopid rule.