Thread: Violation?
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy
Really? It's a fumble, IMO, and it doesn't matter whether the ball hits the floor or not. And you can't travel if you are not in control of the ball.
Yes you're right, I totaly forgot that acctually... I must've been tired or something, it's a fumble and no travel, nor is at a violation or start of a dribble though.
Quote:
Apples and oranges....and not relevant to each other.

Losing the ball is a fumble. Batting the ball to the floor is the start of a dribble. They're covered by completely different rules.
Are they not?
The case is that a player starts a dribble, but before the ball hits the floor, he catches it, to change his mind again and once more push it down (this time it hits the floor).
The same thing happens in the case I explained, the diffrence is that the player doesn't intentionally drop/push the ball. But as far as the rulebook is concerned, there's no diffrence. As long as the ball hasn't hit the floor the player hasn't dribbled, nor is he in control of the ball. Therefore he can't travel and he can't commit a bad dribble, and since the ball isn't in contact with his hand he can't carry it either.
I just tried to put it in another way to explain why there can't be a violation in this case.