Thread: Hand Ball
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

The Rule Book states . . .

The originally stated query alludes to Rule 12.2 Situation C - and the contact that occurs is ruled as being 'illegal' - that is, deliberate handling has occurred.

However, if you read the definition of 'handling' (at Rule 18.1.1.q), it states that an infraction may only be called if the hand moves 'TOWARD (my emphasis) the ball', or 'carried in an unnatural position'. I believe this description is erroneous and ambiguous. Clearly, 'deliberate handling' may occur WITHOUT the hand (or arm) moving TOWARD the ball. An arm in a natural postion, left there such that the ball strikes it, is an infraction. In reading Rule 12.2 Situation C, the wording states 'the ball touches his/her hand'. It does NOT say he/she moves his/her hand toward the ball. Additionally. I would contend that the movement of the hand to protect the stated sensitive areas does NOT constitute the hand being in an unnatural position! In fact, is in VERY natural for it to be placed there!

OK - all that definition stuff aside, Rule 12 clearly intends that in the described situation (12.2.C), a handling onfrcation shall be called. While this is contrary to the guidance provided by USSF, this is an NFHS contest and THEIR rules must be applied - whether we like it or not, whether it 'makes sense' or not.

The players and coaches who may be involved with USSF for the vast majority of their soccer careers may (dare I say 'will') object if I call 'handling', but will have to be satisfied (or possibly suffer consequences under 12.8.1.c) that the written rule for this NFHS game was correctly applied. You can be sure that the opposing (aggrieved) coach will want it that way! You can also be sure that same player and coach will find that in their next USSF game that I will officiate, I will NOT call 'handling' - unless that hand/arm directs the ball or is placed in that position in other than a quick reflexive motion. If that USSF player can turn, duck or otherwise get out harm's way, that's the option they'd best select; else they too may be penalized as would the NFHS player.

When in Rome, do . . . especially when the Romans are paying you!

Last edited by OldTimer; Thu Feb 28, 2008 at 08:21pm.