View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 06:04am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I'm in Australia right now so my books are half a world away, but I believe whistling in subs was added to the NFHS manual this season.

I CAN'T STAND when a partner doesn't whistle in subs. Why? Because with a whistle I don't have to look to see if he/she has the subs or not and when there's no whistle, I do look.

I allow the horn to go and then a distinct whistle. Another sub comes up, another whistle.
If you look and you aren't the one who is supposed to bring the subs in per the pregame, it isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is on you. I don't actually believe that someone blows a whistle and you don't look; maybe someone else would buy that, but I don't.

I think you are right and it was put into the NFHS manual. While I have softened my stance on the issue during pregame, I still ask the table to give us one horn per dead ball for subs - one horn because if a coach runs one sub to the table at a time all those subs might not get in. I guess some of my mentors are anal because I was taught to do things a certain way, using common sense, and be consistent about them.