View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Again, this is explicitly referenced in the case book. The proper procedure (the one the rules committee wants us to use) is to ignore the infraction unless it interferes with the attempt to inbound the ball. If it truly interferes, you are supposed to go straight to the T (and record the warning).

In this case, there is no attempt to inbound the ball, so the infraction should be ignored.
I agree with your interpretation of the rule, but disagree that the infraction should be ignored. According to the OP, A1 picked up the ball and threw it toward B. In this situation I think we have to have a technical foul as the act of picking up the ball and throwing it I don't think can be ignored, and it clearly interfere's with team A's efforts to make a throw in.

Additionally, in a gray area situation where there was 5.8 when the ball went through, I think that is the easiest sell because theoretically a 5 second violation is still in play. You call the T, there's no doubt or uncertainty as to what happened, it's clear a decision was made on the play that was obvious and in my opinion, it makes the situation much cleaner than just ignoring A1's actions and just running off the court.