View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Ronny,
You have to be fair to the scoring team. You cannot allow the throwing team to run the clock out by just standing there for MORE than the allotted five seconds. In a situation such as this it is imperative that the covering official check the clock and begin the 5-second throw-in count as soon as the ball is at the disposal of the throwing team.
It sounds like he checked the clock, and it was 5.8. But unless you're willing to deem the ball at B's disposal less than .8 seconds after it falls through the basket, we've got game over.

In a normal situation (without the time considerations in the OP) I routinely give the throwing team a couple of seconds, occassionally more, to collect the ball and step OOB with it. Then my five second count begins. Only if they're obviously delaying (or being clueless or lazy), which will not be apparent until considerably more than .8 seconds has elapsed with no attempt to secure the ball, will I start my count before they've stepped OOB with it.

So, if in a normal situation there's no way I would finish a five count less than 5.8 after a made basket, I don't see how I could possibly justify rushing to start a count merely because the team behind is running out of time.