View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I'm not familiar with FIBA rules, so could you explain why you'd have 3 free throws on a dead ball foul? Or maybe you're saying that the ball would not be dead? But I don't see how that could be. . . I'm not doubting you at all, I just am curious about the rationale for it. Thanks.
Becuse even though this is a dead ball, the foul is unsportmanlike. An U-foul can be called at any time (this contact could be deamed disqualifying however the penalty is the same). This means that no matter if the ball is dead or not this is an unsportsmanlike foul towards a shooter in motion. Since he is shooting for 3 he also gets 3 shots (since he missed).
Art. 36 Unsportsmanlike foul
36.1 Definition
36.1.1 An unsportsmanlike foul is a player contact foul which, in the judgement of the official, is not a legitimate attempt to directly play the ball within the spirit and intent of the rules.
36.2 Penalty
36.2.1 An unsportsmanlike foul shall be charged against the offender.
36.2.2 Free throw(s) shall be awarded to the player who was fouled, followed by:
• A throw-in at the centre line extended, opposite the scorer’s table.
• A jump ball at the centre circle to begin the first period.
The number of free throws shall be as follows:
• If the foul is committed on a player not in the act of shooting: two (2) free throws will be awarded.
• If the foul is committed on a player in the act of shooting: the goal, if made, shall count and, in addition, one (1) free throw will be awarded.
• If the foul is committed on a player in the act of shooting who fails to score: two (2) or three (3) free throws will be awarded.

I can't give you a good case for this becuse I can't find one, how ever, the key is that if there is a dead ball and there is a continious play like in this video. You ignore personal fouls due to the dead ball, but if the foul is a T, U or D then you must call it. Therefore this is an unsportmanlike foul charged on the defence, the player who were fouled will attempt 3 FT's for this foul since he was trying for 3 points.
I can't find the rules quote regarding dead ball fouls either I'm afraid... I'll keep looking though