View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Ok so now you can repeat the case book but I am looking to interpret the meaning. It has been discussed at great length as I said earlier and there is no "rule" or mention other than the case book situation where a player is not allowed to go OB and then return to the court. The exception as you have indicated by the case play is when they gain an advantage to avoid a defender. (This we agree on in totality). What I wonder is what about the kid who looses his positional awareness making a cut along the baseline then enters again on the other side of the key and receives a pass. No advantage really, no deception, no defender avoidance. I say play on, making this judgement. It is also the interpretation I received from my Provincial Interpreter.
The reason I quote the case-play is for clarity. in an earlier post you seem to indicate there was no ruling, except for ignoring an officials warning. This case is clearly about running out of bounds to avoid a defender, not ignoring an official. The intent is to gain an advantage by running out of bounds, not to be disrespectful to an official...just wanted to make sure we were speaking about the same case.

In regards to the play you describe about the player "losing his positional awareness". I would blow this dead immediately if its an offensive player, then issue the warning. I do not want that player to receive a pass after he returns from out of bounds (running outside the baseline) then shoots, passes, dribbles and/or scores. I think its fair to say that anytime you run out of bounds in your frontcourt it could be interpreted to be avoiding the defense. I would like to hear the rationale/interpretation for permitting a player to run out of bounds during play. If you don't agree that the player should be warned to stay on the court, think what this leads to. The player realizes he has run out of bounds (even if he is just "lost") receives a pass and there is no whistle. What does he do next trip? i think you need to warn the player to avoid any confusion about the confines of the playing area. I am not aware of an interpretation here in Ontario about this situation.