View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 01:18pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellnier
W&S --- not soccer!

grunewar --- officials seemed to lighten up a bit on carries (both point guards were iffy with their stop-and-go moves...4 or 5 called in first half, maybe one in second) and contact fouls under basket, esp. rebounding, were called fewer times. Other changes I couldn't identify because this is a sport totally unlike mine...it's really, really tough seeing everything you folks see...but the flow was palpably better in 2nd half.
I had a game a few weeks back similar to the one you discuss - but it was the coaches and players who adjusted.

At halftime, my partner and I discussed all the fouls, hand checks, rough play, etc. the game had no flow. We discussed: things to look out for in the second half, hand checks, blocks, players to watch, a double whistle, maybe being out of position on a play or a late switch, etc.

Within the first minute of the second half - TWEET! I called another hold! Darn, were we going to have this again? Nope. Buzzer! Coach immediately replaced the player who committed the foul. Apparently, the teams had also talked about what we were calling and the coaches were going to have none of the sloppy play either. 2nd half was good basketball.