View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 12:52pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckref
from 2006 FIBA casebook
38-5
In order to avoid a defensive player, A4 runs out of bounds and around the player before returning to the in-bounds area. The official warns A4 and coach A not to repeat the action. A4 again goes out of bounds to avoid a defensive player. Shall a technical foul be charged to A4?
(Answer) Yes. To permit a player to go out of bounds in this way would be to give that player an unfair advantage and because a warning has been given a technical foul shall be charged. (see also 38-7 a players momentum from jumping to gain control or pass the ball carries them out of bounds = no infraction)
Ok so now you can repeat the case book but I am looking to interpret the meaning. It has been discussed at great length as I said earlier and there is no "rule" or mention other than the case book situation where a player is not allowed to go OB and then return to the court. The exception as you have indicated by the case play is when they gain an advantage to avoid a defender. (This we agree on in totality). What I wonder is what about the kid who looses his positional awareness making a cut along the baseline then enters again on the other side of the key and receives a pass. No advantage really, no deception, no defender avoidance. I say play on, making this judgement. It is also the interpretation I received from my Provincial Interpreter.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.