View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Have many times have you seen advantage/disadvantage not used with this play? This is my twenty-seventh year of officiating, working from 60, to 100, games a year, I also coached over 500 middle school games, I played about 80 games in high school, watched my daughter play recreation, middle school, high school, and AAU ball, and watched my son play recreation ball, and I've only seen this play once, yes, just once, a few weks ago.
Bizarrely I had to make this call twice this following weekend at a tournament for V girls. In the first play A1 and B1 are both trying to get a loose ball near the end line when A1 punches the ball with a closed fist directly up in the air (a bad volleyball play?) tweet.

Second time different game. A1 attempts to pass the ball to A2 in the restricted area (key) B1 reaches out with a fist and punches ball away, tweet.

In both cases I do not at all understand the logic of this play except to say they are clueless about the game. In the first situation A1 had a height advantage and could have easily tipped the ball upwards to get it out of reach of B1. In the second situation B1 could have tipped the ball with an open hand, or tried to intercept the pass. So it looks like I have 54 years worth of experience with this play from one weekends work