View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 09:29pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
How about because I normally tell my table that if I'm doing my job correctly, and checking the table at each dead ball, they shouldn't need to blow the horn for subs.
How about if you tell your table to give one horn during a dead ball to let everyone in the facility know you have a sub? Who said that it means you aren't doing your job if the table blows a horn for a sub? I notice the subs, but I think blowing my whistle continuously de-values it. Additionally, I have no problem verbalizing a sub at the table, along with the horn, so my partner's will know. I have even seen some officials use the whistle to communicate things will players like when they want a player to get a ball for them - basically substituting the whistle for their voice. If the ultimate goal is to get the subs into the game, we are talking about what occurs to make that happen. Using the whistle to accomplish this may or may not make an official's other whistles mean less. However, there is no way using the horn to bring subs in will have this effect.

Btaylor, nice try, but you aren't the only one who knows some pro rules. At least give some of us credit and come right out and recognize what you are suggesting is a NBA mechanic. BTW, it works (your suggestion), but I don't think we are talking about failure to recognize a sub.