View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
re: intentional fouls.

In preparation for the playoffs and tight end of game situtations, the boys needed to learn how to foul strategically. This is basketball. Our opponent in our semifinal game employed this strategy trailing by 4 with less than a minute to play. We missed all of our front end one-and-ones and they got their opportunities.

I may have expressed myself poorly in my rambling OP. I was bemoaning the fact that I have been trying to develop the skills of my players and take it to a higher level. Our success early in the season was due to our aggressive pressing style. I wanted to focus more on solid fundamental defense in the half court. We did that in the second half of the season. We had success.

In this game the tables were turned. The other team became the maniacal pressing team and was beating us up in the back court. My guys were getting pummelled, both on the floor and on the scoreboard.

So, while I could have taken some high road and just let things continue, the referees in this game were dictating what would be allowed. To win we had to respond. We adapted to the officials.
The bottom line here is what you said in your OP which was that you instructed your kids to start fouling intentionally and that you should've done it earlier. In my opinion, that sort of attitude at that level disrespects the game of basketball and makes a travesty of the game. I'd be with you if you instructed your kids to be more aggressive and go for the steal, but telling them to foul intentionally makes a mockery of the game. Another thing, you start instructing 5th graders to foul intentionally like that, you're opening yourself up to a lawsuit and a big can of worms. 5th graders don't know how to foul within the context of a game, you tell them to start fouling and a rugby game could break out as they go over the line. I remember when I was about that age and my coach told the team to make a strategic foul to stop the clock and one of the players on my team clotheslined the ball handler. Teach the game the right way and always respect the game, that's my only advice.