View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
re: intentional fouls.

In preparation for the playoffs and tight end of game situtations, the boys needed to learn how to foul strategically. This is basketball. Our opponent in our semifinal game employed this strategy trailing by 4 with less than a minute to play. We missed all of our front end one-and-ones and they got their opportunities.

I may have expressed myself poorly in my rambling OP. I was bemoaning the fact that I have been trying to develop the skills of my players and take it to a higher level. Our success early in the season was due to our aggressive pressing style. I wanted to focus more on solid fundamental defense in the half court. We did that in the second half of the season. We had success.

In this game the tables were turned. The other team became the maniacal pressing team and was beating us up in the back court. My guys were getting pummelled, both on the floor and on the scoreboard.

So, while I could have taken some high road and just let things continue, the referees in this game were dictating what would be allowed. To win we had to respond. We adapted to the officials.
CA

My only response is that if it was as bad as you say, I would have called a timeout and found a gym administrator or someone in charge of the tournament to discuss the safety of the players. If a resolution couldn't be found, I would have no problem pulling my players and forfeiting the game. I would not put my players in that kind of situation, primarily for safety sake. There is nothing to be learned, for kids this age, in a game of this nature.

Again, this is assuming the picture you painted was more correct than not....