Thread: Electronic Umps
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

"However, I think sometimes umpires forget that when they officiate most are doing so for compensation. This means we are working. As such our employers (the leagues, teams and coaches) expect our best effort i.e. knowledge of the rules, punctuality, appearance, and above all hustle.

Lets cut this compensation discussion right at the roots. You go to the doctors and pay wether his decision is good or bad. I tell the leagues that are association services, they are paying for the best AVAILABLE official we have. If they want a perfect one, then we cant help them. Doctors, Engineers Lawyers, Writers and every other profession including officials, make mistakes but you still pay for their services. Even if they dont hustle or make the right diagnosis. Yes, sometimes it does result in the loss of their job but, I would say most of the times it does not.

MLB could very well go to electronic officiating in the near future because they are so tied into the telvision revenue. Say what you want , the networks have a good deal of influence into Professional Sports. Mabey it might better for the Professional game because it will bring in more money. Then again mabey not as already stated, it takes the judgement part of the game, out of the game.

Think about it, a perfect game. Which means everyone played perfectly, it was officiated perfectly and the score resulted in a perfect score of 0. No runs , no hits, no errors, no nothing.
B O O O R R R R I N G !