Thread: Electronic Umps
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by brandda

How about instant replay!

The ONLY thing I would like to see MLB adopt as it related to Instant Replay is whether or not a HR was indeed a HR.

We have already seen this year, I believe a Diamondback / Giants Game in which Replay would be helpful.

We had the Yanks/ Orioles Series yrs. back where REPLAY CLEARLY showed the young FAN reach into the field of play to catch the ball and therefore, only 2 bases (not 4) should have been awarded.

I'm not saying we should have replays on strikes / balls; outs / safes; or any other infraction, but on HR (the ball is dead to begin with), if we have the technology I say use it.

Before the DH was adopted, we had many a viewer say "that's not baseball what are they doing", yet the DH is still around. Then there's more playoff games, again some people said "the tradition of baseball is being jeopardized", and this type of format is here to stay.

So for all the traditionalists out there, baseball has CHANGED over the years. Other sports like Football, Basketball and Hockey all use replay, why not baseball?

Some say it will add more time to the game. I say it won't because on a call such as a questionable HR, the manager is going to come out and cause a delay anyway, so one might as well go to the replay and get the call CORRECT.

Using replay for a HR (ONLY) IMO is not taking away the human element.

Pete Booth