Thread: Let's talk "T"s
View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 04:17pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I only use a stop the clock signal before a technical foul when the clock is moving.

You're right about the calm part. Our former board interpreter used to say that, "We usually call technical fouls when we're pissed". "Pissed" is one good antonym of calm, but others include agitated, excited, charged up, discomposed, angry, furious, raging, wild, etc., all things that we, as officials should not be, or try not to be, to the best of our ability, during a game. Again, you're right, all officials don't always remain calm when calling a technical foul, but, somehow, the best officials do, and we should all strive do be better officials.
OK, I noticed you said (in your list) you call a technical foul by first giving the foul signal.

I don't really get pissed when I call a technical foul because what is done isn't really something I take personally. I know from playing that this is an emotional game and player/coaches react accordingly. They want everything to go their way and when it doesn't, they react in such a way that they earn a T. Whether it is unsporting conduct or haning on the rim, they do it because in the end they want to win the game.

I have a question concerning T's, if you gave a coach or someone on the bench a T and the coach wanted to ask you a question while the other team is shooting the technical foul shots, would you go over? This happened to me the other night and I wouldn't go over - something I've done in the past and will do again. My thinking is this: if the coach knows what happened before a T, what is there to gain by going over to the coach immediately following? This is different, to me at least, than a player on the court receiving a T and the coach doesn't know what happened. BTW, when I made my way in front of the coach during the normal rotation, he didn't have anything to say. More of the story: the coach was clapping his hands and yelling at my partners during the first half. I thought this was going on but didn't verify it until halftime. I went straight to the coach and asked him to stop. He admitted to doing it and proceeded to talk about judgment calls. Later in the second half, I'm standing in front of him and one of my partners says something about the players talking. The assistant coach is running his mouth too. The coach says the players have the right to talk if they think they are getting fouled. I said, "Coach, they are students, they shouldn't be saying anything." After the conversation was done, the assistant thought he should have a parting shot as I walk away...T! Later on, my other partner calls a foul and the player yells, "Bullsh!t." I call a T and apparently the player acted like he was going to throw the ball at me behind my back. My partner gives him another T. The coach was trying to talk to this player and the player jerked away - a good indication of this team's discipline. I sent this information to the state assigner, because it is the playoffs (also because I'm going to state and don't want to seem like a gun slinger ), and the only thing he asked was if the player and coach stayed around too long. Shoot, if I would have known I had that kind of support from the state I would have called more Ts The player also went into the locker room seemingly alone. The team lost the consolation game last night so they will not be going to state.