Thread: Electronic Umps
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Doubt It

Quote:
Originally posted by brandda
The quote below was posted in a previous thread. That one was getting long so I decided to start a new one:

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
When are people going to understand that we are dealing with human beings. WE AINT PERFECT. This sickness in sports that everything has to perfect in officiating is ruining the games. And that is what they are, GAMES. When are they gonna make a perfect batter? Last I heard 300 was a good average. Heck, thats subpar for almost everthing else in life. The computer age has made us realize that we can now divide a number into infinite parts and therefore we belive that exactness is necessary in everthing we do.

Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with change and improvements in sports and everything else, it is necessary. However,lets keep things in perspective. Next thing you know we will have electronic devices to tell if the runner was really out or safe. How about instant replay!
I think jicecone is correct as regards the current state of tech in sports, however, this raises an interesting question to me. I figure it's 10 years tops before MLB starts to use an electronic ump at the plate to call balls and strikes. Good or bad?

On the plus side, it does remove judgement and improve call accuracy. On the minus side is the whole "umpire judgement is part of the game" argument. I am curious as to the board's opinion on a development that I see as inevitable.
I think that expectations for major league level officials has filtered down into youth sports. Fans expect 100% accuracy in officials when none would want to work in an environment where their bosses had the same unrealistic expectations of them. Also, in general we have become a whole lot less civil toward one another, the after effects of September 11th not withstanding.

However, I think sometimes umpires forget that when they officiate most are doing so for compensation. This means we are working. As such our employers (the leagues, teams and coaches) expect our best effort i.e. knowledge of the rules, punctuality, appearance, and above all hustle.

When we give less than our best effort it reflects upon us as individuals as well as advancing perceptions that can infect us all. Jim/NYC