View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 09:40pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara

Situation 1:
I had a false double technical foul the other night. Both teams were playing pretty physical down in the post area but it had been clean all game. A few fouls had been called but nothing out of the ordinary.

In the 2nd half, Team A had the ball on the opposite-side wing (I was L). A1 posted B1 up on the block. B1 had gotten the best of the matchup all night as he was more athletic and seemed to be a lot more comfortable in the post, both offensively and defensively. The ball is passed from the wing to the top of the key just as I see A1 throw an elbow into the body of B1 out of frustration. TWEET!

My first reaction was to give Player A a flagrant foul but I didn't think it was malicious (intent to injury). I felt it was necessary to call an unsportsmanlike technical foul, however, because there was the use of unnecessary force. I didn’t have to move since the scorer’s table was on that end of the court. I report the foul with the two still in front of me. A1 then says something incoherent to me and B1 gives a little push to A1. TWEET! I honored B1 with a little attention as well, an unsportsmanlike technical.

Is the correct ruling to have each team shoot 2 free throws (Team B followed by Team A) then follow it with an alternating possession arrow? Or should Team A get possession as Team B offended last?

The first foul is a personal, not a technical. It could be either intentional or flagrant, but it is a personal since it involves live ball contact. Technical on B1. If A1's foul is not ruled intentional or flagrant, it is simply a team control foul, so no free throws. Let any player for A shoot 2 for the T on B1, then have A inbound at division line.

Lonesome Dove