View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck
First HS ball for me.
HS plays by FED rules (in most states) .

Since this is your first HS game my suggestion would be to FORGET about OBR rules and concentrate on FED rules. Trying to Co-mingle them can get you into trouble.

As another poster mentioned unless your are CERTAIN that F1 committed a balk do not call it. Again this is one big area that differes from OBR so until you get "comfortable" do not worry about it.

Hopefully your first HS game is not at the varsity level. Normally most HS associations would assign you to a modified game (made up of 7th/8th/9th graders) during your first season UNLESS you are a veteran umpire who has experience and moved into a new area.

If possible have someone whom you trust go watch the game at least 1/2 the game so you can get an honest critique. Do not get "bent out of shape" over CONSTRUCTIVE critisim from an individual you trust. They are just trying to make you a better umpire.

IMO, there is nothing like getting a post game critique from someone who is knowledgeable and trustworthy. That's how I learned.

Do not get too nervous and try to have fun out there. The rest will come if you are dedicated and truly want to learn and improove.

Pete Booth