View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Varsity coach + Girls 7th grade traveling team = bad things.

I'm doing a 7th grade girls traveling team game last night. The Varsity coach for the local boys team is the assistant coach. This is my first game of 2. After the game the coach comes up and intruduces himself.

"I'm **insert name here** the varsity coach. I just wanted to tell you that you missed alot of calls out there, and I could make some phone calls to **insert upper level IHSA official here** but i'm going to give you a break."

**side note... this is the umpteenth resume I've heard in my first year and I completely ignore this activity cause as far as I'm concerned he is the assistant coach of the game I just officiated and nothing more.

So... I say "Thanks for you input coach" and procede to walk away.

He walks up to my partner and does the same thing go him. My partner.. He didn't take it so well. He sais , "Are you threatening me??" They start to exchange some dialog...

I step in and tell the coach.. "The game is over coach.. its time to go"

He sais, "Let me talk" and procedes to continue with my partner..

I turn to my partner and say, "Come on lets go... time to walk away"

He refuses, so I walk away and inform Game management. By that time the coach has moved on.

The second game went without a hitch as the coach left after the first game.

I called my assignor after the game and this is NOT an isolated incident with this coach.

Why...... do these coaches feel soooo entitled to berait officials who are not varsity refs, and furthermore... Why is it not MANDITORY to have an officials room for ALL levels??

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.