View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
Here we go....

A1 is fouled. A inbounds ball and then ball is stolen by B3- A coach is yelling at me that we missed the bonus - team b subsequently scores and I kill the clock. Yes, we should have shot the bonus. Error is correctable since it was found before the first dead ball becomes live - we go and shoot bonus. But this is where my partner and I have different opinions. IMO, a) we shoot bonus with no one on lane and then A gets the ball on the baseline in backcourt since I killed the clock after B made shot- b) my partner feels strongly that we shoot bonus with teams on the lane and play on from that point. I know that the basket by Team B counts no matter what. Whats correct ruling?

Second - A coach is upset because I didn't kill the clock right away during fast break. I have nothing to look at because I am trail and scoreboard is behind me and table is doing nothing... nothing - I explain that I waited to get a look at scoreboard. Whats the best thing to say here? IMO, the scorer/timer failed (after I failed for not noticing bonus) and they could have sounded horn...

With that said - if it wasn't correctable Team A coach would lose a timeout, right?
this exact situation was on the Louisiana test and we discussed it ad nauseum in our test study group. Your assessment was correct, after the FTs it goes back to POI and play resumes. Ironically enough I had this exact situation in a BJV game with two HS kids on the clock/book/table and precious little game management help. My partner and I remembered the study group discussion and got it right but it got pretty hairy with the JV coach that disagreed with our decision.
"Earl Strom is a throwback, a reminder of the days when the refs had colorful personalities, the days when war-horses like Mendy Rudolph, Norm Drucker, and a younger Earl Strom were called the father, the son, and the holy ghost.—Roy Firestone, sports commentator