View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 03:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation A tale of two partners

Worked two competitive middle school rec games last night at two different schools with two different partners. Never have I had as much contrast between partners. The first guy (a 10 year vet, I think) called maybe 3 fouls in the entire game. Pretty much if the player didn't require reconstructive surgery, there was no foul. This was a 7th grade girls game, so there was plenty to call. Also, he never raised his hand when administering OOB plays. It's a good thing the clock guy knew to start the clock when the ball was touched on the floor. Also, he never wanted to switch. Now, in these type of games, we usually use what's called "convenience mechanics" but he didn't want to switch even when it made sense and would save steps.

The second guy was just the opposite. He called a bazillion fouls. Virtually all contact was a foul. He's in his second year. I tried reasoning with him all night about not doing that, but to no avail. Eighth grade boys, pretty decent level of ability, but both teams in double bonus both halves. He probably called 80% of the fouls at least. The game took just short of two hours - and this with only two minutes between quarters and a four minute halftime! Oh yeah - he wanted to switch on virtually every whistle unless it was an OOB right next to him.

Man - it was a really weird night and I just had to vent.