View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Groucho's humor is timeless.

As for your question Rainmaker - and I'm sure everyone is dying to know - my 19 year-old is playing D3 ball, although he'll redshirt this year because he broke his ankle in the second week of the seaon. My nine year-old is finishing up his rec season, and getting ready to start AAU ball (yeah, at nine years old - this is his second year!). In an effort to step back, I only coach the nine year-old's rec team.

As I probably mentioned a long time ago, I find myself a lot quieter at both my son's games. Three reasons: 1) Rules knowledge, 2) I sit down, which sort of squishes my brain and numbs it, and 3) I see other people screaming, making fools of themselves, and shudder, realizing I used to do that. Coaching and fanning are a lot more fun these days without the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I did have to ref a couple of third grade boys games (seven minute quarters, running clock) recently when a scheduling snafu resulted in us not having any refs. I gotta tell ya, reffing third grade boys is a real pain. My choice was to spend the entire game at the free throw line, or let them play. I decided to let them play. In retrospect, I'm not sure I made the right decision. Luckily, no one went to the hospital. One coach actually told me, "If you don't start calling fouls someone's going to get hurt." I almost spit my whistle out. I thought, "Hmmm, where have I heard that before?" Heck of a learning experience.

- Catherine Aird