View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I moved in from the wing to back judge last season and fell in love with the position.

Actually, the first time I did it (the season prior to last), I was bored out of my skull because it was a freshman game (why we had five guys, I'll never know) and neither team threw the ball more than a couple of times all game and it was a blowout besides.

But I found that I had a great view of everything, I enjoyed the hell out of not being able to hear coaches (or at least being able to pretend I didn't hear coaches) and learning the position was a fun challenge.

Another benefit is that you can talk to yourself out there and not seem too psycho (like if you're on the line talking to yourself). I always remind myself of what side the tight end is on, if he's eligible (by not being covered up - sometimes the angle is tough, but you can see by the yard lines if there's a flanker on his side or an end that would cover him and make him ineligible), what his number is in case he DOES go downfield and catch a pass. I'd shade a little bit to the strong side, and check off my keys one by one.

I also had a Ready Ref, which I loved.

Good advice above. Don't come up too quickly. Don't get beat deep. Make sure everybody knows when you have the goal line or the end line. I always remind the punt returner (at least the first time) that if he wants a fair catch, to make sure to give me a good signal, not some halfhearted wave.

Dead ball officiating is very important, as has been mentioned. And your calls are going to be more visible than those from the rest of your crew. The pass interference call is the one that every fan and coach thinks they can make easily and no matter if you throw the flag or not, no matter if you call OPI or DPI, half of the folks not in stripes are going to be pissed at you. As was mentioned, contact isn't always interference and interference isn't always defensive.

And I can't agree enough with the notion of holding your whistle. Keep that damn thing out of your mouth on kicks. I had the fair-catch, muff, whistle scenario happen to me. Never again.

All in all, I like being a back judge. But when I moved to Arizona, I found that they only have five man crews on varsity games (did I hear that correctly?), so no back judge unless it's on Friday nights.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.