View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Good point on being the EXPERT on the kicking game. Know the fundamentals of the rules such as when a kick ends, who can advance the ball, a fumble, a muff, ball breaking the plane of the endzone, etc.

BJ can be really active by helping relay the ball to the U. Also, BJ will "clean up" the plays by being a good dead ball official. When I was a BJ I had more late hit calls than anyone else on the crew. Watch the action in front of the runner on running plays. On passing plays when there is a foul, you must tell the R WHEN the foul occurred. This will affect the enforcement of the penalty. Communicate with the wings during pre-game as to what your coverages are. Also, at what scrimmage line you move from the GL to the endline.

I suggest a white bean bag because in deep grass on Friday nights, you have to retrieve it and get to the other side of the ball pretty quick after the play is over.

BJ is a great position and a lot of fun. Your perspective will allow you to see the holes open up on the running game and you can read the QB and go to the ball on passes. At times it will approach boredom but there will be several crucial calls during the game where you must be ready. Watch film of passing plays and visualize in your mind what is interference and what is incidental. Preparation is the key.

Have fun with it!