View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
if its not disconcertion because the player is trying to miss on purpose I might not call the lane violation. Especially if the offensive team said "hey we are trying to miss on purpose". Just make sure it hits the rim and play on.
You are right that you could ignore it if the defense was trying to commit disconcertion, but this is not the case in the OP. What is going on in this case is a lane violation (Breaking the plane of the lane with a foot prior to the release of the shot), which is not ignorable. Disconcertion involves the subjective judgement of the official, a line violation, however is pretty objective.

I would look toward penalizing B for allowing the game to develop into an actionless contest. The obvious objection to this is that its not really actionless as there is a chance that A could make the FT, but in the grand scheme of things there is no rule that prohibits A from missing a FT, but there is a rule that addresses violating the lane. Obviously with no official directive on how to handle this it will remain a situation to argue and there will be some that disagree with my interp.