View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 06:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sarcasm ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
I would always be careful how we address coaches. Some of them have no sense of humor (or reality for that matter). I think as we gain the trust and establish a rapport with certain coaches, a little sarcasm or humor is ok if it fits the relationship you have.
I agree, except for the sarcasm part. Humor is one thing, most normal people understand humor, but sarcasm is another story. Some people, not just coaches, don't understand, or react to sarcasm well.

My supervisor at work is very sarcastic. It took me a long time to realize that he wasn't trying to offend me, that this was just his way of dealing with certain situations, and I usually understand sarcasm.

Boys varsity game last week. First half, so Team A's bench is in front of Team B's frontcourt. I'm the trail, on the table side of the court. B1, with the ball, at the wing, tableside, makes an odd move, and Team A head coach, just a few feet behind me, getting the same look as me, says in a conversational tone, "travel?". Without looking back, I say, also conversationally, "No, left foot pivot". A few seconds later, B2, with the ball, also on the wing near both myself and the Team A coach, makes an odd move, and again, the coach says, "travel?". This time, it wasn't even close, so I just shake my head no. A few seconds later, B1 has the ball again, also near both of us, and makes almost the same move he made the first time, but he travels. At the same time that I'm blowing my whistle, the coach says, "travel?". As I turn to become the new lead, the Team A scorekeeper, says to both me, and the coach, "I guess you have to ask three times?". All three of us laughed. Sometimes humor can be a good thing, but watch out, not all the time.